SBT is written in Scala (my favorite language of the week). But it can build Scala apps or Java apps. I don't have time to go into all that I like about it. But here are a few highlights:
- The language used for build scripts is the same as the language being built: Scala
- It is completely and easily extensible - using Scala. The key here is the easy part.
- Great docs! The project is fairly new, but already the documentation is better than that from Ant or Maven
- It is compatible with Maven repositories and POM files
- It is compatible with Ivy
- SBT eliminates most of the unnecessary boilerplate and noise code required with Ant and Maven
- The project owner, Mark Harrah, is very talented and committed to this project
- Support is excellent. Mark personally replies to all messages on Google Groups
- Bugs and feature requests are addressed quickly
- It's fast. Building my project in SBT is much faster then Maven - I'm not sure why, but it is.
Project Home: http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/
Google Groups: http://groups.google.com/group/simple-build-tool